Sunday, April 15, 2007

Spotlight On: Becky



Becky, PCHS Treasurer

Born & raised in Pulaski County, lived here all my life! I share my home with "Minnie" a short haired gray and black tabby that I rescued from the Pulaski Wal-Mart garden center in October 2005. My previous cat "Mike", who was 18 had died that June, I was still grieving and trying to decide when would be the right time to get another cat when "Minnie" found me. I couldn't resist her big yellow eyes and the fact that she reminded me so much of "Mike". As soon as I got her home she jumped on my lap and has been there ever since!

Background/Profession: Graduate of Pulaski County High School and New River Community College with a A.A.S. in Accounting. Employed by the Town of Dublin since September 1983, started as a clerk/cashier, appointed Assistant Treasurer in August 1987, appointed Treasurer from October 1990 to present. Achieved Master Governmental Treasurer in October 2000 through the UVA Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service. Notary Public for the Commonwealth of Virginia since 1987. Named to Who's Who of American Women 2000/2001.

Other Memberships/Organizations: Treasurer's Association of Virginia; Southwest Virginia Clerk/Treasurer's Association; Virginia Government Finance Officers Association.

Hobbies/Interests: Spend time with family and friends; travel; hot air ballooning, either riding or chasing (hey, sometimes it is a good thing to be full of hot air!); hiking; white-water rafting; archery; photography; reading; cross-stitch and any thrill ride that doesn't spin me in circles!

How long with PCHS: Since October 2005. I first went to the shelter to inquire about possibly transporting a dog on my way to visit friends in Northern Virginia and was told by our former President, Mr. Hill, that volunteers were needed in all areas but they especially needed a Treasurer and as they say "the rest is history".

Hopes for the future of PCHS: continue to see the decline of euthanasia rates and higher adoption rates; to educate the public about responsible pet ownership and to see more volunteers recruited.

Hopes for my future: To be able to retire at a relatively young age, so I can have more time to volunteer and travel. Oh yeah, and to still be able to ride the roller coasters!

No comments: