Tuesday, February 3, 2009

First transport with North Shore Animal League



Eleven PCHS pups were fortunate enough to make the trip of a lifetime to Port Washington, NY to North Shore Animal League's no-kill shelter. It took a team of volunteers to make this happen! Rebecca coordinated, as is her speciality, and thank goodness for that! I couldn't coordinate my way out of a paper bag with holes in both ends. Shelter manager Julie scored us a county van, and Anthony, a.k.a. Mr. Fix-It, scrubbed and assembled the stainless steel cages inside (I just realized that Mr. Fix-It is married to Mrs. Fix-It, but they do 2 very different kinds of fixin'!). Vet checks on Sunday included a team of me, Rebecca, Jane, Kim, vet and son (not sure if she wants her name mentioned).



The van loaded early this morning--4:30 AM! But loyal van loaders Barb, Jane, and Lynn (well, I guess me, too) were on scene and we got through it very smoothly and quickly! As the only "county approved driver," I took the wheel at about 5 AM, with Lynn happily by my side to make sure I stayed awake for the drive to Roanoke. I'd like to add that Lynn was hoping for school to be in session today--so she could go to work! What amazing energy!



The drive ended in Roanoke for me and Lynn, but not for the pups! They were loaded into another van--driven by expert transporter Diane--for the second leg of the journey to Harrisonburg. We got to see fellow rescuer Ruthie from Wytheville (who was transporting 31 puppies by herself--go Ruthie!), and met a new friend, Elizabeth, who is also an expert transporter. In Harrisonburg, the pups were loaded onto North Shore's transport RV for the rest of the long haul.


Lynn and I got back to the shelter just as the Asissi shuttle was arriving, and Rebecca was on scene (solo, I might add) to check everyone in. I heard that Julie cleaned the van, but I'm sure (at least I hope) she had some help from Jonathan and the trustees. Special thanks to Julie for getting us the van!

So many puppies were saved today, but we still have lots of squirming cuties at the shelter available for adoption! Please come visit us to see our many animals (including 3 hamsters) in need of loving homes!

No comments: